Watch our short video on Rotary. If you want more information click here.
What is Rotary? Perhaps this is best summed up by Rotary’s primary motto: “Service above Self”
Rotary is an international service organization whose stated purpose is to bring together business and professional leaders in order to provide humanitarian services, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world . The Rotary Club of Youngtown is your local chapter of Rotary International.
Rotary is an organization open to all persons regardless of race, colour, creed, religion, gender, or political preference. There are 34,282 clubs and over 1.2 million members worldwide. The members of Rotary Clubs are known as Rotarians. Members usually meet weekly for breakfast, lunch or dinner, which is a social event as well as an opportunity to organize work on their service goals. Rotary is made up of three parts, Rotary Clubs, Rotary International and The Rotary Foundation. At the heart of Rotary are our clubs, who are supported by Rotary International and The Rotary Foundation.
Rotary clubs bring together dedicated individuals to exchange ideas, build relationships, and take action.
Rotary International supports Rotary clubs worldwide by coordinating global programs, campaigns, and initiatives.
The Rotary Foundation uses generous donations to fund projects by Rotarians and our partners in communities around the world.
As a nonprofit, all of the Foundation’s funding comes from voluntary contributions made by Rotarians and friends who share our vision of a better world. Together, Rotary clubs, Rotary International, and The Rotary Foundation work to make lasting improvements in our communities and around the world.
Top 10 Reasons to Join a Rotary Club
1. Professional Networking: A founding principle of Rotary was to provide a forum for professional and business leaders. Members are leaders in business, industry, the professions, the arts, government, sports, the military, and religion. They make decisions and influence policy. Rotary is the oldest, most prestigious service-club organization in the world.
2. The Opportunity to Serve: Rotarians provide service at both the community and international levels. Service programs address health care needs, hunger and poverty, illiteracy, disaster relief, and environmental cleanups, to name a few. Members experience the fulfillment that comes from giving back to the community.
3. Personal Growth and Development: Membership in Rotary ensures continuing personal and professional development. Leadership, public speaking and communication, organization and planning, team-building, fundraising, and teaching are just a sampling of the skills that can be exercised and enhanced through Rotary.
4. Friendship: Fellowship was a primary reason Rotary was started in 1905, and it remains a major attraction. Today, with more than 30,000 Rotary clubs in over 160 countries, Rotarians have friends wherever they go. Rotary helps to build community as well as enduring friendships.
5. Cultural Diversity: Rotary International is an association of local clubs in many countries. Clubs are open to members of every ethnic group, political persuasion, language, and religious belief. Rotary clubs contain a cross-section of the world's leaders. They practice and promote tolerance.
6. Good Citizenship: Membership in Rotary makes one a better citizen. Weekly Rotary club programs keep members informed about what is taking place in the community, nation, and world. Rotary's expansive network of clubs and programs provides extensive opportunities for service and interchange.
7. World Understanding: Rotary members gain an understanding of humanitarian issues and have a significant impact on them through international service projects and exchange programs of RI and its Foundation. The promotion of peace is one of Rotary's highest objectives.
8. Entertainment: Every Rotary club and district hosts parties and activities that offer diversion from one’s personal and business life. Conferences, conventions, assemblies, and social events provide entertainment as well as Rotary information, education, and service.
9. Family Foundations: Rotary sponsors some of the world’s largest youth exchange and educational exchange and scholarship programs. Rotary clubs provide innovative training opportunities and mentoring for future leaders. They involve family members in a wide range of social and service activities.
10. Ethical Environment: Rotarians practice a 4-Way Test that measures words and actions by their truthfulness, fairness, goodwill, and benefit to all. Encouraging high ethical standards in one's profession and respect for all worthy vocations has been a hallmark of Rotary from its earliest days. The Four-Way Test: Of the things we think, say or do: 1) Is it the TRUTH? 2) Is it FAIR to all concerned? 3) Will it BUILD GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS? 4) Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
Interested in becoming a member of the Rotary Club of Youngtown? Please contact us. Club members, are "adult persons of good character and good business, professional and/or community reputation" and agree to uphold high ethical standards in their "personal, business and community life" as well as in their interaction with other people generally. Membership in a Rotary Club is by invitation only, at the discretion of the members. Expressions of interest in membership are welcome. It is important, therefore, that you take time to visit the club on a few occasions to ensure not only that you get to know its members and that you will feel happy being part of the club, but also that you give its members a chance to get to know you.